Monday, November 12, 2007

Happy Veterans Day

We retreated November 11, 2007 for Veterans Day to reflect in solemn contemplation. I reviewed many stories of valor from conflicts fought past & present. And in this review I found common traits that I'd like to share:

These stories share principles of contribution, charity, attention, responsibility, courage, discipline, integrity, humility, gratitude, vision, innovation, quality, respect, empathy, unity, adaptability, magnanimity, perseverance, balance, simplicity, and renewal -- all of which are timeless. All of which transcends the everyday politics as usual.

These timeless traits are what we remember Veterans for -- not necessarily the wars they fought and even less so the politics of it.

When I say the word Veteran: I think of these principles, I think of a work ethic worth emulating, I think of being a part of something greater than oneself, I think of sacrifices, I think of a brotherhood/sisterhood, I think Honor.

TO ALL MY BROTHERS AND SISTERS IN ARMS PAST & PRESENT:

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU SO VERY MUCH...!!!

And now I leave you with an excerpt of a Presidential Proclamation by President Dwight D. Eisenhower:

BY THE PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA
A PROCLAMATION
3071

Whereas, in order to expand the significance of that commemoration and in order that a grateful Nation might pay appropriate homage to the veterans of all its wars who have contributed so much to the preservation of this Nation, the Congress, by an act approved June 1, 1954 (68 Stat. 168), changed the name of the holiday to Veterans Day:

Now, Therefore, I, Dwight D. Eisenhower, President of the United States of America , do hereby call upon all of our citizens to observe Thursday, November 11, 1954 , as Veterans Day. On that day let us solemnly remember the sacrifices of all those who fought so valiantly, on the seas, in the air, and on foreign shores, to preserve our heritage of freedom, and let us reconsecrate ourselves to the task of promoting an enduring peace so that their efforts shall not have been in vain.

No comments: